EDF closely cooperates with its members and partners to strengthen the capacity of organisations of persons with disabilities at European and International level.
Highlights from recent past
- EDF organised capacity building workshops in Geneva for its members on how to engage with the UN Committee on the rights of persons with disabilities. This was essential in view of the EU review by the UN Committee on the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD).
- EDF worked with its members in Croatia, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Lithuania, Portugal, Slovakia, Serbia and Sweden to support them in the review of their country at the UN Committee on the rights of persons with disabilities. In some cases, such as with Croatia, EDF provided training workshops to its members on how to draft their alternative reports.
- EDF provided training in two workshops organised by the European Federation of Hard of Hearing (EFHOH) on how to get involved in the UN CRPD review process.
- Together with the UN Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Brussels, EDF ran a training session for organisations of persons with disabilities on the UN CRPD review process, attended by organisations from all countries which will be reviewed by the UN CRPD Committee in 2016.
- EDF supported its members on an ad hoc basis, on deinstitutionalisation, European Structural Funds, EU Fundamental Rights Agenda, State Aids and Employment.
- Throughout 2014 and 2015, EDF collected feedback from its members on the experiences of passengers with disabilities in Europe. EDF also provided support to its members concerning their involvement in the advocacy for, and the launch of the European Disability Card.
- We organised several training and mutual learning sessions for and with our member organisations during our Board Meetings and Annual General Assemblies in 2014-2015 on topics such as the European Structural Funds, Europe 2020 and the European Semester, refugees with disabilities, ICT and rail accessibility.
- Together with its members and the International Disability Alliance (IDA), EDF sent joint submissions to different UN Treaty Bodies on the rights of people with disabilities, the Human Rights Committee, the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women, etc.