It is a unique moment in the European Union. For the first time, having ratified the EU and all its Member States the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, the European Commission has released the European Disability Rights Strategy 2021-2030.
The European Parliament, and particularly the Disability Intergroup, was instrumental in the call for an ambitious Disability Rights Strategy firmly based on the UN CRPD and with clear proposals aiming at improving the situation of persons with disabilities across the EU.
The European Commission has delivered the Strategy and now it is time to hold a first discussion about the outlined actions and objectives. The Disability Intergroup invites disability organisations, activists, experts and all EU institutions and national authorities to come together to exchange their views and set the Strategy in motion.
This webinar will provide international sign interpretation and real-time captioning in English.
13:30-14:00. Welcoming remarks:
- David Sassoli, President of the European Parliament (tbc)
- Helena Dalli, European Commissioner for Equality
- Ana Sofia Antunes, Secretary of State for the Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities, Portuguese Presidency of the Council (tbc)
- Yannis Vardakastanis, President of the European Disability Forum
14:00:14:30 – European Commission presentation by Katarina Ivanković-Knežević, Director DG Employment
14:30-14:45 – Reaction from external experts:
- Gerard Quinn, UN special rapporteur of the rights of persons with disabilities
- Representative of the UN CRPD Committee
Reactions from MEPs and participants
15:00-15:20 – Priority areas: Accessibility, Enjoying EU rights and Equal access and non discrimination.
- Discussion led by MEP Rosa Estaras
15:20-15:40 – Priority areas: Decent quality of life and living independently, and Promoting the rights of persons with disabilities globally.
- Discussion led by MEP Stelios Kympouropoulos and MEP Mónica Silvana González
15:40-16:00 – Priority areas: Efficiently delivering the strategy, Leading by example, and Awareness, governance and measuring progress.
- Discussion led by MEP Radka Maxová and MEP Katrin Langensiepen