European Disability Forum is an umbrella organisation of persons with disabilities
We bring together representative organisations of persons with disabilities from across Europe.
We defend the interests of more than 100 million persons with disabilities in Europe.
We are run by persons with disabilities and their families. We are a strong united voice of persons with disabilities in Europe.
We want a Europe where persons with disabilities are fully included in society.
We are included on an equal basis with others.
We want our human rights, as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities are fully respected, protected, and fulfilled.
Our mission is to ensure the full inclusion in society of persons with disabilities.
Access to our human rights through our active involvement in policy development, implementation, and monitoring of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Europe.
EDF’s values are built on the principles of the United Nations’ Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD)
- Respect for inherent dignity;
- Individual autonomy including the freedom to make one’s own choices;
- Full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
- Respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity;
- Equality of opportunity;
- Equality between men and women;
- Respect for the evolving capacities of children with disabilities and respect for the right of children with disabilities to preserve their identities.
Promoting disability rights in Europe
We were created in 1996 by our member organisations to ensure that decisions at European level concerning persons with disabilities are taken with and by persons with disabilities.
We have since established regular channels of advocacy to European institutions including the European Parliament, the European Commission, and the Council of the EU.