The Disability Intergroup of the European Parliament is an informal grouping of Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) from all nationalities and most political groups who are interested in promoting the disability policy in their work at the European Parliament as well as at the national level.
It promotes the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons with disabilities, in line with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD).
The Intergroup is a key ally in advocating for and advancing the rights of persons with disabilities in the Europe through European Parliament. It has been instrumental in the adoption of legislation which is favourable to persons with disabilities in areas such as transport, employment, research, structural funds, accessibility, non-discrimination. It is one of the oldest Intergroups, established in 1980.
The Disability Intergroup endeavours to hold a strong and fruitful dialogue with all persons with disabilities and their representative organisations. Members can
- Organise debates with their colleagues and with other EU institutions
- Submit amendments
- Draft parliamentary questions
- Draft other parliamentary initiatives
- Participate as keynote speakers in European events on disability issues
The European Disability Forum (EDF) cooperates closely with the Disability Intergroup and acts as its Secretariat.
Bureau of the Disability Intergroup
Work programme 2020-2022
The Disability Intergroup approved the workplan 2020-2022 during a meeting on the 13 February 2020.
Do you want to check all the priorities?
The Disability Intergroups holds a discussion to set in motion the European Disability Rights Strategy 2021-2030
On 30th March 2021, the Disability Intergroup hosted the webinar: “Setting in Motion the European Disability Rights Strategy”....Read more
Disability Intergroup event: Setting in motion the European Disability Rights Strategy. March 30th 2021
It is a unique moment in the European Union. For the first time, having ratified the EU and...Read more
The Disability Intergroup is ready to strengthen the EU Disability Rights Strategy
The European Parliament Disability Intergroup welcomes the publication of the European Disability Rights Strategypresented by the European Commission...Read more
Commitee toolkits for MEPs
- Constitutional Affairs Committee
- Foreign Affairs Committee
- Budget Committee
- Culture and Education Committee
- Development Committee
- Human Rights Committee
- Employment and Social Affairs Committee
- Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee
- Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Committee
- Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee
- Industry, Research and Energy Committee
- Legal Affairs Committee
- Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs Committee
- Petitions Committee
- Regional Development Committee
- Transport and Tourism Committee