The Disability Intergroup of the European Parliament is an informal grouping of Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) from all nationalities and most political groups who are interested in promoting the disability policy in their work at the European Parliament as well as at the national level.
It promotes the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons with disabilities, in line with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD).
The Intergroup is a key ally in advocating for and advancing the rights of persons with disabilities in the Europe through European Parliament. It has been instrumental in the adoption of legislation which is favourable to persons with disabilities in areas such as transport, employment, research, structural funds, accessibility, non-discrimination. It is one of the oldest Intergroups, established in 1980.
The Disability Intergroup endeavours to hold a strong and fruitful dialogue with all persons with disabilities and their representative organisations. Members can
- Organise debates with their colleagues and with other EU institutions
- Submit amendments
- Draft parliamentary questions
- Draft other parliamentary initiatives
- Participate as keynote speakers in European events on disability issues
The European Disability Forum (EDF) cooperates closely with the Disability Intergroup and acts as its Secretariat.
Bureau of the Disability Intergroup
Work programme 2020-2022
The Disability Intergroup approved the workplan 2020-2022 during a meeting on the 13 February 2020.
Do you want to check all the priorities?
Taking stock of the Disability Intergroup work in 2019 and 2020
Since the re-establishment of the European Parliament Disability Intergroup in December 2019, its bureau and members have worked...Read more
EDF calls the EU Parliament to investigate the impact of COVID-19 in residential institutions and prioritise deinstitutionalisation
By: Kayleigh Thompson At last Thursday’s EU Parliament public hearing on the impact of COVID-19 on people living...Read more
The Parliament’s Disability Intergroup and EDF agree disability rights priorities for 2021
As every year the Bureau of the Disability Intergroup of the European Parliament met on 29th of January...Read more
Commitee toolkits for MEPs
- Constitutional Affairs Committee
- Foreign Affairs Committee
- Budget Committee
- Culture and Education Committee
- Development Committee
- Human Rights Committee
- Employment and Social Affairs Committee
- Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee
- Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Committee
- Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee
- Industry, Research and Energy Committee
- Legal Affairs Committee
- Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs Committee
- Petitions Committee
- Regional Development Committee
- Transport and Tourism Committee