15th June 8:30-9:45 (NY time) / 14:30 – 15:45 (Brussels time) Online
Real-time captioning in English and International Sign Interpretation will be provided.
Organised by: European Disability Forum
Sponsored by the European Commission and G3ICT
This side event will shed light on the necessary instruments, knowledge and resources to implement accessibility policies in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The discussions will focus on how to bridge the gap between the legislation and the real impact on the everyday lives of persons with disabilities, as many State Parties face challenges to ensure that accessibility provisions are implemented in practice whilst taking into consideration the expectations and lived experiences of persons with disabilities in different fields, notably on transport, the built environment, and Information and Communication Technologies, among others.
To ensure correct implementation of accessibility legislation, and build the capacity of both the public and the private sectors, centres like the US Access Board have proven to be crucial in bringing them together with accessibility professionals and persons with disabilities, resulting in a successful increase of accessibility. In the European Union, one of the flagship initiatives of the Strategy on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities 2021-2030 is to launch an AccessibleEU resource centre to underpin the implementation of recent accessibility legislation. In parallel, different organisations have also put together resources which can support turning accessibility laws into realities.
In this event we will learn from different governments, institutions and organisations, accessibility professionals, companies, and disability organisations on what are the key elements that such accessibility centres should have.
Moderator: Catherine Naughton, Director, European Disability Forum
- Sachin Dev Pavithran Executive Director. United States Access Board
- Inmaculada Placencia Porrero Senior Expert on Disability, Director General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion. European Commission
- Przemysław Herman Deputy Director Ministry of Funds and Regional Policy. Polish Access Board
- Roxana Widmer-Iliescu Senior Coordinator for Digital Inclusion. International Telecommunication Union
- Axel Leblois President and CEO. G3ICT & International Association of Accessibility Professionals
- Katrin Langensiepen Member of the European Parliament
- Jennifer Chadwick Senior Accessibility Consultant, Global. Siteimprove
- Alejandro Moledo Deputy Director. European Disability Forum