On the occasion of the European Day of Persons with Disabilities 2021 (#EDPD2021) EDF Youth Committee would like to send a message highlighting the situation of thousands of young people in Europe who are at greater risk than other groups.
The European Disability Forum Youth Committee and the International Federation for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus youth group would like request the European Commission to dedicate the European Day of Persons with disabilities in 2022 to young people to celebrate the European year of youth. The two groups would like to communicate the following messages for the occasion of the European Day of persons with disabilities 2021.
- Let’s dedicate the European Day of persons with Disabilities 2022 to youth with disabilities and celebrate the European year of youth. #YouthUpEDPD
- Accessibility should not be provided because of an award, but because not providing it it’s violation of our rights
- Digital inclusion and accessibility should not mean physical exclusion and inaccessibility.
Access to health care
- In times of pandemic and emergency situations children and young people with disabilities should not be left out of health care and support services.
- Impact of sport on body and mind is important for the health of and well-being of young disabled people. It helps overcoming challenges and barriers .
- All children and young people with disabilities have the right to inclusive education in all times pandemic included, with the right support services and access to assistive and accessible digital tools.
Children with disabilities
- Children and youth with (visible and invisible) disabilities should be included both in physical and digital environments in order to be healthy physically and mentally.