The sixty-fifth session of the Commission on the Status of Women starts today until the 26th of March 2021. This UN Commission is the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.
The theme of this year is “Women’s full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls”. You can follow all the discussions online on UN Web TV.
Together with the International Disability Alliance we submitted a video statement on political participation of women with disabilities. It will be posted on EDF’s website.
During these two weeks, there is a variety of side and parallel events including the perspective of women with disabilities in which anyone can register to attend. Ana Pelaez Narvaez, EDF Vice President, will speak in the event on the 18th of March, and Luisa Bosisio, member of EDF Board will speak in the event on the 23rd of March, see list below.
Side and parallel events including the perspective of women with disabilities (none exhaustive)
- 16 March, 3:30-4:30 (CET): Is the Way you Think about Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) Ableist? Good Practices for Disability Inclusive SRHR Programmes and Advocacy.
- 18 March, 1:30-3:00 pm (CET): Barriers to the full and effective participation of women and girls with disabilities
- 19 March, 2:30-4:30 pm (CET): Practicing feminist disability rights organizing. Strategies for collective action.
- 20 March, 7:30-9:30 pm (CET): Comment Garantir l’Autonomisation des Femmes et des Filles, y Compris celles en Situation de Handicap, à toutes les Étapes de leur Vie ? (in French)
- 22 March, 4-5:30 pm (CET): An Untold Narrative: Immigrant Women with Disabilities
- 23 March, 4-6pm (CET): From global to national – WRC Feminist Declaration inspiring Italian organizations
See the full list of side-events here.
See the full list of parallel events here.
Photo credit: UNWomen