Today, the European Disability Forum (EDF) and CBM Global launch a video on disability-inclusive climate justice at the European Development Days which is taking place online over 2 days (June 15th – June 16th). The continuing restrictions for travel and safe distancing due to COVID19 and a commitment by both EDF and CBM Global to minimize carbon footprint meant that the video was filmed fully online, using the accessible platform of Zoom. The video is available in both its long and short form.
Participants in the video came from all regions of the world to share on two aspects
1. The impact of climate change on persons with disabilities
2. The impact persons with disabilities can have in contributing to climate action, by being part of the solutions and the way forward
Both aspects remain very under researched in current climate work. In terms of policy, persons with disabilities remain very much invisible at the national level and within international frameworks on climate adaption and mitigation.
Nadia Hadad, EDF Board, and Executive Committee member says:
“We learned from participants in the video, that
• Climate change impacts significantly on the lives of persons with disabilities, yet persons with disabilities have been excluded from climate mitigation activities
• Without the full inclusion and meaningful participation of persons with disabilities, climate actions taken for a sustainable future for all will not be possible
• Persons with disabilities are powerful actors who belong to and can make important contributions to climate actions in their own communities, countries and also within international movements that advocate for climate justice”
Mary, Advocacy Director, CBM Global, says:
“It is widely acknowledged that persons with disabilities are at an increased risk from climate change, yet very little is known about how persons with disabilities and their representative organisations have engaged in climate change negotiations, policy-making, and programme implementation to date. Article 4 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities obligates State Parties to ensure persons with disabilities and their representative organisations are included in policy-making processes at national and global level, this needs obligations applies to all policy processes related to action on climate change”
We encourage you to share the video widely and to also use it for your own advocacy purposes, we also welcome you to come to the stand at online Global Village.