As the biggest development and humanitarian aid donor in the world, the European Union (EU) is in a prime position to address the ongoing social exclusion and segregation of children, adults and older persons with disabilities in long-stay residential institutions. Despite the adoption and broad ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), including by the EU, persons with disabilities around the world continue experiencing institutionalisation, poverty, denial of education and exclusion.
The purpose of the webinar is to launch the report “Role of the European Union funding in supporting deinstitutionalisation around the world: A Call for Change” as well as discuss with guests on the results of the report.
Gerard Quinn, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Presentation of the report
Ines Bulic Cojocariu, Deputy Director, European Network on Independent Living (ENIL)
Moderator: Marion Steff, International Cooperation Manager, European Disability Forum (EDF)
- Jonas Ruškus, Vice-chair of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities of the United Nations
- Stela Grigoras, Child Protection Specialist – UNICEF Europe and Central Asia
- Jorge Manhique, Marie – Curie Research Fellow, Disability Advocacy Research in Europe (DARE)
- Gunta Anca, General Secretary European Disability Forum – EDF
- Vesna Dzuteska-Bisheva, Team Leader, Inclusive Growth UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub
- EU representative (TBC)
Accessibility: This event will provide international sign interpretation and real-time captioning in English.
Role of the European Union funding in supporting deinstitutionalisation around the world: A Call for Change
- Programme ENIL EDF event
- Concept note of the EDF – ENIL Webinar on the “Role of the European Union funding in supporting deinstitutionalisation around the world: A Call for Change”
Roberta Lulli, EDF accessibility trainer