On Tuesday 14th of September, the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities closed its 25th session.
During this session, the Committee held two online constructive dialogues with and adopted concluding observations on France and Djibouti. The documents adopted during the sessions, as well as statements delivered in the opening (16 Aug 2021) and closing (14 Sep 2021) are available on the webpage of the Committee.
The main decisions presented by the CRPD Committee during this closing session have been the following:
- The Committee adopted concluding observations in relation to the initial report of Djibouti and France.
- The Committee adopted views on 4 individual communications under the Optional Protocol to the CRPD (not published yet).
- The Committee considered matters related to inquiry procedures under the Optional Protocol to the CRPD.
- The Committee established a Working Group on women and girls with disabilities.
- The Committee adopted an annotated outline of its guidelines on deinstitutionalization, which will be published soon for consultation.
- The Committee continued its work towards a General Comment on Article 27 of the CRPD, whose draft will be published soon for consultation.
- The Committee continued its engagements with the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Special Envoy of the Secretary General for Disability and Accessibility.
- The Committee decided that its 26th session will take place in Geneva between 7 March and 26 March 2022, and that the 15th Pre-sessional Working Group will take place between 28 March and 3 April, 2022. The list of countries that will be reviewed is not yet available.
Marine Uldry, EDF Human Rights Officer