Our work on employment policy
The right to work and employment is a fundamental right enshrined in Article 27 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. However, it is also far from being a reality for millions of persons with disabilities willing to work.
The Europe 2020 strategy objective aims at reaching 75% employment rate in the EU. However, at EU level, 50.8% of persons with disabilities are employed, compared to 74.8% of persons without disabilities. Moreover, women with disabilities, young disabled persons and people in need of high level support are even more likely to be discriminated and excluded from the labour market.
For the European Disability Forum, guaranteeing access to employment and occupation is a key issue, as it is a crucial aspect for the economic and social inclusion of 100 million persons with disabilities in Europe.
Unemployment may lead to poverty and social exclusion. Barriers preventing access to the employment market are most of the times based on misconceptions and judgments on a person’s abilities. That is why EDF works on various levels to develop legislation in the field and to promote positive action in the labour market.
- EDF Position Paper on Adequate Minimum Wage 2021
- EDF 2020 Human Rights Report on Poverty and Social Exclusion (see chapter 6 on employment)
- EDF 2020 Human Rights Report on poverty and Social Exclusion (easy-to-read version)
- Joint Statement on the use of State Aid for employment of persons with disabilities and the General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER) May 2020
- EDF’s analysis on the 2020 European Semester Country Reports
- EDF’s analysis on the European Semester Autumn Package 2020
- EDF’s response to Commission consultation on EURES – European Job Mobility Portal – 2020 (PDF format)
- Event Report : Disability and in-work poverty – Annual Convention on Inclusive Growth 2019
- EDF workshop on youth employment 2019
- EDF Report on Evaluating the ‘Defence of rights’ under the Employment Directive April 2013
- EDF Report on the implementation process of the Employment Directive